This chicken paella will not make your meal pale.
chicken paella : Paella is one of the well-known dishes of Spanish cuisine and is considered as Spain’s national dish internationally. But in Spain people believe it to be a dish of the Valencian region. Also, the people of the Valencian region consider it to be their identifying symbol too.
- This chicken paella will not make your meal pale.
- More about chicken paella
- Quick Chicken Paella
- Traditional Chicken Paella
- Chorizo and chicken paella
- Red Pepper and Chicken Paella
- Seafood and Chicken Paella
- Valencian Rabbit and Chicken Paella
- One-pot Spanish Chicken Paella
- Slow cooker chicken paella
- Slow-cooked Seafood and chicken paella
More about chicken paella
Paella means frying pan in Valencia’s regional language. In the traditional paella recipe, olive oil is used as a base along with saffron, rosemary branches as the seasoning. For the seasonal ingredients artichokes hearts and stems are used.
There are two main types of Paella which include-
Paella de Marisco, which has Seafood in place of meat and usually green vegetables, as well as green, are not added into it.
Paella Mixta has Seafood, meat, vegetables and also beans sometimes. Chicken Paella is a part of the Paella Mixta.
So now that we know about this famous Spanish dish let us learn how to make this chicken paella.
Quick Chicken Paella
Active time- 30 minutes
Total Time- 55 minutes
Yield- 8 Servings
Make this easy paella recipe within just one hour and serve it to your guests piping hot. This recipe is suitable when you are on a time crunch and still want to make something special. For this chicken paella recipe use a good paella for having the crispy rice crust along with the valencia rice.
- Two tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- One teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- Half teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- Eight (6-oz.) skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, divided
- One and a half teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- One teaspoon black pepper
- One and a half cups chopped yellow onion
- Five garlic cloves, minced
- One and a half tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- One and a half cups uncooked Bomba rice
- Three cups unsalted chicken stock
- Lemon wedges
- One-third cup dry white wine
- Two cups of frozen green peas
- One red bell pepper, torn into pieces
- Three tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Mix lemon rind, saffron and juice in a small bowl.
- Now add oil in a skillet or 15-inch paella pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Now add the thighs to the pan and let it cook on the skin downside for about 6 minutes and then cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
- After the chicken cooks keep it aside and then add onions, garlic and thyme to the pan and let it cook for 4 minutes.
- Now add the rice to it and stir it for at least 2 minutes. Now add the wine and let it cook for 2minutes till it gets reduced.
- Add the salt, stock and the lemon juice into it.
- Place the pieces of chicken into the rice with the skin up. Reduce the heat and let it cook for 18 minutes at least till the rice is tender.
- Now add the red pepper and peas to it and keep the heat to medium-high. Let it cook for 5 minutes till the rice turns brown.
- Remove it from the heat and serve in a dish.
- Garnish it with parsley and serve with lime wedges.
Recipe Notes- While making this chicken paella do not make use of the risotto rice like arborio because the rice should not be creamy in paella. Make use of the bomba or the valencia rice which is a short-grain rice.
Traditional Chicken Paella
If you are a fan of authentic and traditional Spanish food, then this dish will please your taste buds. This traditional chicken paella recipe is too good to be ignored and is worth trying.
- Four Tablespoon Oil
- Salt and pepper
- One Cup Bell peppers
- Four Pieces of Chicken
- Two tablespoon Paprika powder
- Two teaspoon Garlic paste
- Chilli flakes
- One Cup Onions
- One Cup Rice
- One Cup Vegetable stock
- White wine
- A pinch of Saffron
- One Cup Peas
- 7-8 Olives
- Add oil in a pan and let it heat. After the oil is hot, add the chicken pieces to it along with the red bell peppers and onions.
- Make sure to mix them well. Remove the chicken pieces along with the vegetables and add the rice along with the vegetable stock to it.
- Now once again add the chicken pieces back to the pan along with the saffron-infused white wine.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper. Cook for some time.
- Now mix the green peas, parsley and olives to it.
- Serve the chicken paella hot and drizzle some olive oil on the top.
Chorizo and chicken paella
Want to have a party of the flavours in a skillet? Then you need to try this paella recipe in an iron skillet for that crispy rice bottom and the vegetables. This chorizo and chicken paella proves to be a different meal than the regular ones we have and is a break from the typical daily meals.
- Two chicken breasts (or thighs) cut into square pieces
- Three tablespoons + one tablespoon olive oil
- Two links Spanish chorizo (12oz) sliced
- Kosher salt and Black Pepper
- Two teaspoons smoked paprika
- One small yellow onion, chopped
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- One large red bell pepper, half cup
- One(-14.5oz) can roasted chopped tomatoes
- One teaspoon turmeric
- One-fourth cup dry white wine
- Three and one third cups chicken broth
- Lemon wedges
- Two cups Arborio rice
- Pinch of saffron threads
- One-fourth cup sliced manzanilla olives
- One cup fresh or frozen green peas
- One-fourth cup freshly chopped parsley
- Keep a large iron skillet on medium-high heat and add three tablespoon olive oil to it.
- After the oil is hot, add the chicken, salt, pepper and paprika to it. After the chicken turns brown in the pan, remove it and set aside using a slotted spoon. Do the same with the sliced chorizo too.
- Now reduce the heat and add one more tablespoon of olive oil to it. Add the onions along with the peppers and let it cook for 4 minutes till they get softened. Then add the garlic and saute it till it becomes fragrant.
- For deglazing the pan add the white wine to it. Scrape off the bits sticking to the pan by using a wooden spoon and let it get reduced for about three minutes.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, saffron, turmeric and chicken broth along with the chicken and chorizo.
- Leave it for a gentle boil and then add the rice to it. Take care that there should be enough liquid to cover the rice.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook undisturbed for 20 minutes so that it develops the crispy bottom.
- After the liquid has dried off add peas and olives to it.
- Serve the hot chorizo and chicken paella in a dish garnished with chopped parsley and lime wedges by the side.
Red Pepper and Chicken Paella
It’s an easy yet tasty dish for those who want to avoid Seafood in their Paella. This recipe just turns out nice, and you can surely experiment with its base. The distinct flavours of the roasted bell pepper do add that twist to our usual Paella, and the luscious, juicy pieces of chicken surely do its work in this red pepper and chicken paella.
- About 800g Chicken Meat
- 250g Chopped Runner beans or French Beans
- 800g Spanish Paella rice
- Half Medium onion, finely chopped.
- One teaspoon of sweet paprika
- About 2 litres of chicken & vegetable Stock
- Three to four large ripe tomatoes
- Pinch of Saffron
- Sprig of Rosemary
- A sprinkle of chopped Nora Peppers
- Extra virgin olive oil
- One Red pepper sliced & roasted
- One lemon
- Add some oil to the paella pan and saute the chicken in it till it becomes brown.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and infuse the saffron in the stock for about 15 minutes.
- Now add onions in the paella pan and stir it till it becomes soft. Now add the tomatoes over medium-high heat and keep stirring it.
- After it forms a thick dark paste stop shaking and add the chicken along with Noras, paprika and beans. Now add half of the peppers to it and fry for two to three minutes more.
- For deglazing the pan add stock to it and scrape the bottoms with a wooden spoon. Adjust the seasoning according to your taste.
- Let it boil for a few minutes more and then add the rice to it. Mix the rice well and let it cook undisturbed for about 10 minutes.
- Now lower the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes more.
- After the rice is well-cooked cover it with an aluminium foil and increase the heat so that the rice sticks from below and a crispy layer is developed.
- Turn the heat off now and serve the red pepper and chicken paella with lime wedges and the remaining bell pepper on top.
Seafood and Chicken Paella
Get set ready for a flavorful dinner full of mussels, clams, chicken sausage and shrimps. This classic Spanish Seafood and chicken paella are just perfect for a romantic dinner, or even a family get together as the portion is quite enough.
- Two tablespoon olive oil
- Two chorizo sausages cut into 1-inch pieces
- Half teaspoon salt or to taste
- One lemon cut into wedges
- Four chicken thighs boneless and skinless cut into 1-inch pieces
- One fourth teaspoon pepper
- Six cloves garlic minced
- One large onion chopped
- 14 oz diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- One and a half cups arborio rice
- Four cups vegetable or chicken broth low sodium
- Two teaspoons smoked paprika
- One tablespoon Tabasco
- One lb large shrimp shelled and deveined but keep tails on
- One teaspoon saffron
- One lb mussels scrubbed and soaked
- fresh parsley for garnish chopped
- One lb clams scrubbed and soaked
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large paella pan. Mix in the chicken, and the sausage along with pepper and salt into it. Let it cook for 5 minutes till the chicken is not pink.
- After the chicken becomes a little bit brown, shift it to one side of the pan and add the chopped onions to the other side. Stir the onions till they are translucent and add salt along with pepper to it. Then add the garlic to it and stir till it becomes fragrant.
- Now add the arborio rice and the tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Let the rice cook in the sauce for 5 minutes and let it brown on the bottom. Mix the broth, hot sauce, saffron, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Stir everything well and cover with a lid.
- Cook it till the liquid is absorbed, which will take over 15 minutes.
- Now reduce the heat and add the shrimps, clams and mussels over it.
- Cover the lid again and cook again for 10 minutes.
- Garnish the Seafood and chicken paella with parsley and lemon wedges.
Valencian Rabbit and Chicken Paella
This recipe is inspired by the original paella recipe from the province of Valencia where the ingredients are taken from the fields and not from the sea. This rustic dish has local beans, rabbit and chicken involved, which forms the heart of this dish. This rabbit and chicken paella have an intense flavour all thanks to the meat and the bones.
- One generous pinch saffron threads
- Two teaspoons kosher salt
- One fresh rosemary sprig
- One lb. cleaned rabbit on the bone, cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- One lb. bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- Four and a half cups chicken stock
- Half lb. flat green beans, trimmed and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- Three tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Two cups bomba rice
- One garlic clove, minced
- Two ripe medium tomatoes, seeded and grated
- One teaspoon sweet paprika
- Half lb shucked mature lima beans, fresh or frozen and thawed
- Add the saffron in a small dry skillet and stir it till it becomes dark after two to three minutes.
- Remove it from the pan and transfer it into a small bowl and grind it by hand.
- Add salt over the rabbit and chicken. Mix four cups of water with the chicken stock and keep the meat and stock separately aside from the stove.
- Heat an 18-inch paella pan and add olive oil to it. After the oil is hot, add the pieces of the chicken and rabbit into it. Shift the pan from side to side for about 15 minutes till the meat gets brown on all the sides.
- Reduce the heat and add the green beans to it. Saute the green beans from time to time till they are slightly brown for about three minutes. Then add the garlic along with the tomato stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Then add the pimento in the pot and then the stock mixture.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and let the liquid boil. After it starts boiling reduce the heat once again and let it cook for 20 minutes stirring the pan occasionally. Adjust the salt according to taste. Increase the heat once again and add the sprigs of rosemary along with the rice. Use a wooden spoon for distributing the rice evenly. Let the rice cook over high heat for about 10 minutes and then remove the rosemary sprig from it.
- Shift the pan for some movement and let it cook for 10-15 minutes more so that the liquid dries up.
- For the Soccarat increase the heat to medium so that a crisp layer is formed at the bottom.
- After five minutes serve the rabbit and chicken paella in a dish.
One-pot Spanish Chicken Paella
Cook your Spanish meal hassle-free in this all-in-one recipe where you can cook the whole dish in an oven. Just set your ingredients and one single pot, and you are ready to have some chicken paella.
- One red onion roughly chopped
- Two grated cloves of garlic
- Two red peppers thinly sliced
- 150 gms firm chorizo chopped into slices
- Six boneless chicken thighs
- Four pinches of saffron
- Two tablespoon olive oil
- 600ml chicken stock
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt for taste
- Preheat the oven at 180-degree celsius.
- Take a flat casserole and add the peppers, garlic, onions, chorizo, chicken thigh into it in a single layer and roast it for 25 minutes.
- Add the saffron strands into some tablespoons of water in a cup and let it infuse in it.
- Now, after 25 minutes stir the chicken mixture and add the rice, chicken stock along with the saffron-infused water into the pan.
- Cover it with a foil and cook for one more hour at 160 degrees.
- After the rice cooks add some more chicken stock for adjusting the texture.
- Add the salt along with lime juice into it.
- Pour the chicken paella in a plate and top it with some parsley and lemon wedges.
Slow cooker chicken paella
Make this Spanish dish in a slow cooker within no time. What you need to do is just brown the rice and add everything on the slow cooker. And after a few hours, you will have a tasty dish of Spanish chicken paella in front of you.
- Four boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- One tablespoon olive oil
- One (14 ounces) can diced tomatoes, drained
- Two cups short-grained rice
- four ounces turkey chorizo, roughly chopped
- One medium onion, diced
- Two cups low sodium chicken broth
- One cup shredded carrots
- One bell pepper, diced
- Two cups peas, fresh or frozen
- One-fourth teaspoon smoked paprika
- Four garlic cloves, minced
- One fourth teaspoon saffron
- One bay leaf
- Keep a pan on medium and heat oil in it.
- Now add the chicken to it and stir it till it becomes brown.
- Now add the chicken along with the ingredients to the slow cooker and let it cook on high for 1-2 hours or 3-4 hours on low.
- After the rice has been prepared well remove the bay leaf.
- Serve the chicken paella with lemon juice and fresh parsley.
Slow-cooked Seafood and chicken paella
Making paella will not be intimidating now onwards and will just take 15 minutes of preparation for making this flavorful dish. This Seafood and chicken paella get extra flavour when you add the chicken thighs to it along with the chorizo if you want some gentle smokiness to it then add the andouille to it.
- One pound of boneless chicken thighs
- One large red onion chopped
- Half pound chorizo sausage
- One can of tomato soup
- Three and one fourth cup chicken broth
- One cup frozen peas
- Four cups white rice
- Two tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a 6-quart slow cooker stir the sausage, chicken, broth and soup.
- Let it cook for at least 6-7 hours till the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Add in the rice, peas along with the olives in a cooker.
- Now let it cook for 10 minutes more till the rice becomes tender.
- Remove the chicken paella in a dish and garnish it with chopped parsley.
We hope all the recipes above were helpful for you and you will definitely try these chicken paella recipes at home. Our sole intention of providing you with these recipes is to provide you with some of the best and exclusive dishes which you can try at home. We would be happy to see you making these dishes at home and happily serving it to your families. So do share your pictures of these recipes with us and do comment in the section below with your reviews.
Till then happy cooking to all of you!!